Monday, December 13, 2010

"Crushed Spirit"

Proverbs 18:14 "The human spirit can endure a sick body, but who can bear it if the spirit is crushed?"


What causes a "crushed spirit"....I can't help but think of one of my favorite movie quotes from Anne of Green Gables. When Anne asked if Maurilla had ever been in the depths of despair. Maurilla wisely says: "Child, to despair is to turn your back on God!" The strange thing about turning our backs on God...we often think that it is He that has turned His back on us. But nothing could be further from the truth.


If ever there was a person who could have had a crushed spirit and gone into despair...that would have been Job. He suffered Family loss! Financial loss! Friends that turned on him! Even his wife told him to curse God and die. What a great example Job gives us in chapter 19 on how to deal with the difficulties of life.


As Job is telling his "friends" all his troubles...he suddenly shifts gears and begins to tell of his HOPE.


Job 19:25 "For I know that my Redeemer lives, And He shall stand at last on the earth"

Job 19:26 "And after my skin is destroyed, this I know, that in my flesh I shall see God"

Job 19:27 " Whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another.

How my heart yearns within me!"


We must always look at our troubles in light of the reality that our Redeemer Lives....and one day, when this life is done....will be with Him...face to face. This changes our perspective and gives HOPE to our Spirit.


My oldest son, father, brother aren't saved ~ My Redeemer lives

My friend has cancer ~ My Redeemer lives

My family and friends are without work ~ My Redeemer lives

My friends marriage has been shaken ~ My Redeemer lives


Love and blessings,

Sharon

"‘My Redeemer" = Is personal. My redeemer speaks of a personal relationship. "Lives" = It is a present ongoing relationship and task. Job speaks of one who is alive and carrying out the very work of a kinsman-redeemer on his behalf at that very moment and also will do so in the future and even after his death. "Whom I shall see for myself and my eyes shall behold" = How will Job recognize Him, because He has spent time with Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment