Monday, July 26, 2010

"What Does Jesus Look Like?"

Revelation 10:1-2 "Then I saw another mighty angel coming down from heaven, surrounded by cloud, with a rainbow over his head. His face shone like the sun, and his feet were like pillars of fire. And in his hand was a small scroll, which he had unrolled. He stood with his right foot on the sea and his left foot on the land."

Mighty angel Clothed with a cloud
Crowned with a rainbow Countenance like the sun

Who is this "mighty angel"? Is it just an angel, or is it referring to Jesus? That's the puzzling question here in Revelation 10. Theologians have been discussing the "who" of these verses for centuries....and they don't agree. Pastor Jon Courson
says...Not Jesus, Warren Wiersbe says....It's Jesus. Pastor Chuck Smith...says it's Jesus too, but Pastor Vernon McGee says no...it's only a "mighty angel". Whichever position you take you'll be in good company.

When I read what each of these pastors said about "why" they think it's Jesus....I nod my head and say, yes...it looks like Jesus. And then I turn to those who say, "no, it's not Jesus" and this is why...I say to myself....ahhhhh...your right...it can't be Jesus.

Well, all I can say at this point is...I'm not sure who this "mighty angel" is here in Revelation 10....I'm going to have to do a lot more studying and meditation on my own, with lot's of prayer before I can be convinced either way.

But, I don't want you to think that it's been a waste of time because I didn't discover who our angel is. Through the process of trying to understand this passage and determine if this was Jesus or not....an important question came to my heart...."What Does Jesus Look Like?"...So, for a week all I did was studied the face of Jesus.

I love how King David said that his desire was to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and seek Him in his temple. Or as the Message states it: I'll contemplate his beauty; I'll study at his feet. As I poured over the Scriptures that speak about Jesus and who He is....meditating on what Jesus looked like (not physically, but His character).....my understanding of who He is began to grow and my relationship with Him deepened and became more intimate.

Now, I still don't know who the angel is in Revelation chapter 10...but I do know Jesus better today and I love Him more...and want to be more like Him....it's been a fruitful study.

Blessings on your week,
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment